a little history
Soul Flower was founded in 1999 by Mike and Peggy as a way to promote a bohemian, eco-friendly, and peaceful lifestyle. Our little shop on Grand Avenue in Saint Paul, Minnesota was a gathering place for college students and locals looking for 'cool threads for kind heads'. Since those days, we have made a few changes... we no longer have a retail store, but have expanded with a mail order catalog, a digital catalog, this online shop, a wholesale catalog, and a screen printing team. One thing that hasn't changed is our dedication to offering our customers thoughtful, eco-friendly clothing styles at an affordable price - and of course the best customer service anywhere!
meet the crew
Over the years we've had many buds who have been part of the Soul Flower family, and we're thankful to everyone for making it a memorable experience. Check out our four-part blog series to take a tour of the warehouse and meet the folks who make it happen today:
- Chad - Director of Corporate Optimization - no kidding, he has taken us from a little 3 pc shop to a lightning fast network and website that is constantly being updated with the latest and greatest. Chad can do it all, but we only let him wear his superman cape afterhours.
- Jennifer - Sculptor of Shadow & Light - When she's not busy shooting the latest product, you can find her working with our models and designers to get things looking just right . Honest, Positive, Peaceful - Jenn is the essence of Soul Flower.
- Joe - Principal Smile Procurement Agent - every company needs a Joe; whether you're a customer or a vendor, Joe keeps things moving forward in a smooth and positive way. The warehouse is his domain, and customer service is his game.
- Leiah - Pixologist - Leiah is our lead graphic designer for our women's and baby clothing lines. When she's not doing that she's designing our next catalog, creating website graphics, ads, or planning the next wholesale catalog. She's a dynamo and we wouldn't be who we are without her creativity and dedication.
- Sarah - Marketing Superstar - She is helping to take our wholesale business on the road to tradeshows and beyond. Her marketing skills and DIY attitude are bringing a whole new soul-shine to the Soul Flower Brand.
- Jacqueline - Daydreamer - naming our latest products, writing up creative product descriptions, blogging & social media. Basically, she sits at her computer all misty eyed the majority of the day and the results are pretty phenomenal.
- Maddie - Wholesale specialist - If you are one of those cool local stores carrying our line, you will get to know Maddie well. She's there to help our retailers spread that Soul Flower vibe. For a change of pace, she is also one of our most photographed models - can you guess which one is her?
- Erich, Shanny, & Mary - Packaging Rock Stars - Putting Soulful vibes into every package, these folks are an incredible pick and pack team. Tireless, exact, and keeping the packaging to a minimum, they provide the final touch (and sometimes a fun surprise) to every package. You ROCK!
- Ryan - Printing Magician - Ryan is heading up our screen printing team. Now every design is printed by Soul2Soul Printing. Oh, he also does the graphic designs for the new Soul Flower Men's t-shirt line. Magician is right!
- Chance and Daniel - These guys are printing as fast as humanly possible to make sure you get your goods fresh and on time! Give them another year and they'll have arms like Popeye's!
- Jessica - The queen of cool, she is the first voice you'll most likely hear when calling customer service. Helpful, understanding, and has a secret love for 80's hair bands.
- Rachel - Graphic designer, photo-shoots, photo-shop, photo-anything - she's on it. An up and comer that we're betting will be the next big thing in Golden Valley!
- Peggy - Keeper of the Vibe - creating the latest eco-friendly clothing designs, and keeping a watchful eye out for the next "must have" products, Peggy is the Soul in Soul-flower! She's taken our product line from a few pieces to dozens of styles - we bow down in awe.
- Mike - The Ring Leader - Mike has lots of ideas, and fortunately an awesome staff to execute them! Behind the scenes he's scheming and dreaming about the future of Soul Flower - probably more dreaming than scheming though.
We do our very best to give back and keep the positive vibes going. Each year, we donate to a number of organizations (local, national, and universal) that help to make this world a better place. In 2013, we focused on these organizations --
- We continue our efforts with the Arbor Day Foundation to plant trees to offset those used in our catalog production. Today we use a 90% recycled paper for our retail catalog, and the tree planted to tree used ratio is close to 50 to 1. You can never plant too many trees!
- Habitat for Humanity - the whole Soul Flower crew spent a day helping to build the first Net Zero energy home in Minneapolis - go team!
- Soul Flower contributes to the Greater Des Moines Music Coalition.
- We continue our support of Second Harvest Heartland, going hungry is just one of those things that can't be tolerated.
- We support Carbonfund.org in helping to offset Soul Flower's carbon footprint; and we continue to expand our green practices as a company.
- We are working with the Conservation Corps - providing hands-on stewardship & teaching environmental conservation to young adults in Iowa and Minnesota.
- We helped Vega Productions to build an instument library for local schools.
- Camp Courageous has always been on our radar. A fabulous camp where people with physical challenges can let go and just be in a camp that is made just for them. Check it out!
We love to hear from our customers, so feel free to drop us a line via
email, snail mail, phone,
facebook, twitter, or leave a comment on our blog. It can be a tough act - personalizing the internet - but we believe the littlest things make a big difference. A thoughtful product (from concept to existence), a pleasant phone call, an extra note (and occasional random gift) in your package, a thank you to our customers. Our company has always been defined by the Golden Rule - treat others as you would like to be treated and everything else will be fine. Karma is real, and generating as much good karma as possible is something that every business should strive to do.
Cheers to Learning, Loving and Growing. Peace!