After the long and lazy hibernation of winter, there’s a lot to be done! It’s time for some major spring cleaning to revitalize our communities. Our cities (OUR WORLD!) need a helping hand.
With National Volunteer Week fast approaching (April 21-27), we wanted to brainstorm the numerous ways we can help out and volunteer year round.
Many of the links below are for opportunities in Minnesota, but please don’t hesitate to research your own home town if one of these volunteer positions interest you! 🙂
– Humane Society: help our furry and feathered friends find comfort
– Plant trees, shrubs and flowers in your area: with Earth Day & Arbor Day fast approaching, your community will have plenty of opportunities open! Arbor Day Foundation
– Habitat for Humanity: help create affordable, green shelters for low income families
–Homeless shelter: help sort donations, make/serve food, answer emails & calls, or assist with educational programs
– Protect our waters: help keep our waters clean and free of invasive species. Locals for Lakes
-If you live in Minnesota you could become a Master Naturalist Volunteer!
-Support your local zoo! Minnesota Zoo Volunteer Opportunities
– Foster Care: you don’t need to foster a child to help a child – check in with your local foster care to see what services they might need.
– Library: help out at an event, book drive or read-a-loud. Hennepin County Library Opportunities
– Be a mentor or tutor at your local school and help a struggling student feel more confident
– Nursing home: craft, play games, read, and just chit-chat to bring cheer to someone’s day
– Thrift shop: help sort & shelve items to aid them in a second chance
– Hospital: numerous organizations exist to help ease someone’s pain. Such as Open Arms Minnesota which grows, cooks and delivers food to people struggling with illnesses
– Local farms: so much work to be done, you’re sure to be needed!
Volunteer your talents, time and joy to make our world a better place!
For more volunteer opportunities & dates check out Spring into Volunteering Hands On Twin Cities, and find what fits right for you. 🙂