Our very own photographer, Hannah Lee, tried this cool writing assignment recently. Simply said, it helps you take a deeper look at what you have in your life (and what you have is likely enough if you look at it right)! It’s all about an attitude of gratitude. So find a peaceful spot and:
- Set a timer for 5 minutes.
- Start out by writing down all of the things you want out of life.
- When the timer ends look over your list.
- Circle all of the material items (i.e. house, car)
- Now re-write those things to not be material items.
(Example: You wrote CAR, instead write the access to transportation or the freedom to go places without limitations)
- Look at your list again, put a Box around anything you feel or know involves another person. And write how they help you or will help you grow as a person.
- Look at your list again and Star how many of these things you feel you already have if you were to pass away tomorrow.
- Now step back from your list and look at your page. See the marks you have made, the things that you have right now and the hopes you have for the future. Now look at your hands, and realize that everything on that list came from within you. It is all because of you, and it is true for you.
In the words of The Beatles’ George Harrison “It’s being here now that’s important. There’s no past and there’s no future. Time is a very misleading thing. All there is ever, is the now. We can gain experience from the past, but we can’t relive it; and we can hope for the future, but we don’t know if there is one.”
A few t-shirts sayings to help you increase your gratitude: