What better way to welcome in the new year than by setting a clear and positive intention using yoga? The following new year yoga sequence focuses on opening up your heart to new experiences, strengthening your spine for conviction, and balancing to support balance in your life. Move through this new year yoga sequence keeping these goals in mind and soak in all the benefits that yoga has to offer!
New Year Yoga Flow Steps:
- Begin in mountain pose (tadasana) with hands at heart’s center. Set your intention for the new year.
- Exhale as you fold forward. Shake your head yes to new opportunities and shake your head no to obstacles.
- Plant your hands and make your way to table top. Move through cat/cow (marjaryasana/bitilasana). Inhale during cow and exhale during cat.
- Exhale and push back to downward facing dog (ahdo mukha svanasana).
- Inhale your right leg high – keep your hips squared to the ground.
- Exhale as you bend your knee and flip your dog (camatkarasana).
- Bring your right leg high again, plant both hands on the floor as you continue to swing it underneath you for supported side plank (vasisthasana). Shift your weight to your right hand and lift your left towards the sky.
- Plant your left hand and exhale back to downward facing dog.
- Step to the top of the mat and make your way into dancer’s pose (natarajasana). Remember to keep your right palm facing out away from you and to keep your hips parallel to the floor.
- Exhale into a forward fold.
- Plant your hands and push back into a down dog.
- Shift your weight forward to a high plank and lower all the way to your belly. Bend at the knees and grab the insides of both feet for bow pose (dharunasana). Kick into your hands and lift through your chest.
- Exhale into extended child’s pose (utthita balasana) and soak in the good energy you’ve created.
- Repeat on left side.
This new year yoga flow sequence features our Soul Flower printed yoga leggings and yoga tanks. Try a restorative playlist to go with your new year flow!